Tuesday, December 1, 2009

HANGING WITH THE DUDE! MOTHERF-ING JEFF BRIDGES!

Hanging with the "Dude".

There are moments when, in my newish life in Los Angeles that, I have to physically pinch myself. This was one of them. Meeting Jeff Bridges, the Dude, Starman, was an awesome moment. You need to understand that one of my first screenplays was written specifically for Jeff Bridges. He's a personal hero, a living legend and a genuinely decent human being. Nothing but kindness in his eyes. To work with him would be a divine experience.

Tonight I had the privilege of seeing one of the Best Films of the Year, CRAZY HEART. Bridges plays a down and out, massive alcoholic country singer. He will be nominated for Best Actor this year. You can take that to the bank. I witnessed what is possibly the best performance of the year. Such a powerful piece of acting in a finely directed film. Maggie Gyllenhall is great, as always. Colin Farrell plays a Keith Urban-ish style country singer and he's great in a role that's basically designed to make Jeff Bridges performance stand out even more than it already does. Colin plays Tommy Sweet a popular country singer who learned everything from his mentor Jeff Bridges. You get a great sense of history between the two men onscreen, as if Colin the actor is taking in everything Bridges, the master class actor, has to give. Their scenes together are outstanding. Sweet, sad and poignant.

To make already cool proceedings even cooler, Robert Duvall was in the movie and at the event afterwards. Bobby F-ing Duvall. Tom Hagen, the Consigliere was there in person! As a dude who hails from Sicilian parents, being a few feet from Robert Duvall is like having a badge of honor in my family. Insanely awesome.

Truly a magical night. The Wife was with me and is still buzzing about the film and the night we just had.

What can I say, Christmas came early this year... I met Jeff Bridges.

Your Friend,

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment