Monday, January 25, 2010

THE RAW POWER OF A MONTREAL WINTER STORM

The aftermath of a powerful storm.

The above photo is a 3 car tarp that covered the front motorcourt at my parents home in Montreal. Three years ago when I went back home for the holidays, a massive wind picked up the tarp - which weighs at least two tons - flipped it around destroying 5 cars before settling in between my parents home and the neighbor's house like a shipwrecked vessel.

When I say the wind picked up the tarp, I mean that the tarp acted like a parachute and was pushed upwards of 20 feet. When it came down it crushed 5 cars like tin cans. It was like a scene right out of Jan De Bont's awesome popcorn flick TWISTER.
Fortunately, no one was hurt. But during the entire ordeal my dad was insane enough to think he could hold the tarp down ( the aforementioned two ton tarp made with towering steel girders and such) with his BARE HANDS. The tarp almost lifted him 20 feet into the air and he narrowly avoided getting his head splattered like a watermelon. That's my dad. The man with no fear and dubious common sense.

The photo is the aftermath of the storm and always made me think of a downed pirated ship with it's shredded sails.

The sound the wind made that day was like a beast from 65 million years ago. Beyond frightening.

Your Friend,

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment