Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A FRAYED -- A New Very Short Story by D. Salvaggio


A FRAYED

I have seen the beginning of beautiful relationships. I have seen the life of newborn babies celebrated by joyful parents. I have been privy to your darkest moments. I have seen you mourn, lament and celebrate the loss of a loved one. Your best moments and your worst --- I have seen them all for the past 20 years. But I am old and frayed now.

I have wiped away tears. I have dabbed at unflatterring stains on your lapels or your expensive gowns or your fancy summer dresses. I have witnessed your triumphs --- Weddings, baptisms, Sweet 16’s. I have witnessed your defeats --- Funerals. I’ve tasted the best wines in the world. I have heard your whispers of deceit. So many secrets have been shared in my presence. So many stolen glances --- A cheating husband --- A wayward wife. I’ve seen it all. The faces change but the stories are eerily the same.

The banquet hall in which I have dutifully served for the past 20 years has received everyone: Celebrities, politicians, criminals and good-hearted people who live tranquil lives and don’t wish to stand out. I have served you well. Sat on your lap. Saved your garments from careless spills. I’ve been spit on by babies. Wiped away tearful mascara. Dropped on the floor haphazardly, stepped on, forgotten. But I have served you well. I have seen much but my color has begun to fade and my edges have begun to fray. I am no longer the same lustrous complexion of my youthful self. I look tired and old. Some would say ancient. I’m afraid it’s time for me to go. 20 years is enough. Some don’t make it past 10. I have lived a good, full life. Met many interesting people. Seen families at their apex of happiness and fulfillment.

I am a 20X20 inch French Vanilla cloth napkin made of cotton blend Momie with soil release. High-end from the beginning ---- Classy, elegant and understated. It’s getting dark now. I’m no longer sitting decoratively; a fancy swirl of cloth in a crystal wine glass. I am not brave. I am frayed. I am afraid. I will miss each and every one of you who has crossed my path. I am in a black plastic bag. Everything is black now. I am no longer needed.

Time destroys everything.

Domenico Salvaggio

No comments:

Post a Comment